Word study in context
Build word power through high-quality contemporary and classic literature, nonfiction, essays, and primary source texts. Unlock word meaning through context clues and develop mastery using multiple, research-based vocabulary strategies. Each literature-based lesson focuses on eight to ten Master Words with exercises of increasing complexity to extract meaning, apply vocabulary skills and strategies, and assess mastery.
In less than 15 minutes per day, your students develop the word study skills they need to improve reading fluency and comprehension.
Program Features & Resources
A full year of vocabulary support.
Each lesson includes
- a high-quality text selection introducing the Master Words.
- one writing activity per lesson to build word power.
- six to seven research-based word study activities per lesson such as
—using a dictionary
—inferring meaning and using context clues
—recognizing word associations and relationships
—using Master Words in new contexts
—word games and puzzles
Review & Assessment
- Reproducible chapter tests.
- Unit reviews including context clues, word relationships, synonyms/antonyms, parts of speech, and much more.
- Unit and summative tests.
Includes a reproduction of the student edition with answers, a Master Word dictionary, and lesson tests.
Test Booklets (grade 5 only)
Includes unit tests and review tests. Sold in sets of 10 with answer key.
Common Core State Standards
Georgia Performance Standards for Grades K-8 English Language Arts/Reading.
Mississippi Curriculum Frameworks, Language Arts.