Connections: English Language Arts
A comprehensive, integrated curriculum created to help students connect with complex texts through close reading
Combine in-depth, scaffolded standards coverage with proven inquiry-based strategies through close reading. Each chapter helps students identify and connect textual evidence as they comprehend the text, analyze key features, and synthesize their findings within and across texts. The comprehensive standards coverage allows students to build the skills they need to succeed in college- and career-level work.
Engaging, high-quality texts designed to stimulate analysis and discussion
- an essential question focuses on critical thinking skills
- classroom-tested selections of complex text
- a variety of genres with a grade-appropriate balance of informational and literary texts
- award-winning and notable authors
Comprehensive standards coverage with focused, scaffolded skill development in each lesson
- First Read—comprehend key ideas and details
- Second Read—evaluate how the author’s craft and structure affects meaning
- Third Read—synthesize ideas and concepts
- Writing—opportunities throughout including writing for specific text types, purposes, and research
- Speaking and Listening—collaborative discussion opportunities in each chapter to explore ideas, concepts, and share insights
- Project-Based Assessments—extend the study of the text to deepen students' understanding through digital presentations, artwork, and much more
- Academic Vocabulary—identified and used throughout
- Close Reading—Three readings of complex texts move students from, for example, identifying the main ideas to analyzing author’s style and ultimately to evaluating ideas and connecting themes across texts.
- Comprehensive Standards Coverage—“Focus on” minilessons help students develop the skills necessary to master standards such as identifying and using textual evidence, finding the main ideas, and analyzing rhetoric and arguments.
- ELA Integration—Writing and speaking and listening activities assist students in understanding texts and practicing and applying skills.
- Project-Based Assessments—Each chapter culminates with projects requiring students to extend their knowledge of the text through writing, roundtable discussions, artwork, digital presentations, debate, and much more.
- Practice Performance Tasks—Each unit culminates with a project that focuses on essential writing types—narrative, argumentative, informative, and research papers.
This extensive wraparound edition includes a reproduction of the Student Edition surrounded by support materials, including lesson support, ELL support, teacher planning tools, suggestions for differentiation, and extension activities.
- Lesson Support—Text-based questions help teachers monitor reading comprehension and provide a bridge to “Focus on” lessons.
- ELL/Remediation Support—Provides background information, text frames for writing and speaking activities, and other adaptations to help English Language Learners succeed.
- Teacher Planning and Assessment Tools—Lesson plan template, pacing guide, rubrics, unit review tests, end-of-course test, and more