Reading Essentials® in Science
Develop content-area reading skills with curricular-aligned science books
Reading Essentials in Science is designed to meet the demanding needs of today's classroom. 24-48 pages
- Focus on Nonfiction
Build students' skills in content-area comprehension of informational text, a critical component of state tests and necessary for future success in and out of the classroom.
- High-Impact Visual Design
Captures interest and directs attention to critical textual elements.
- Aligned with Standards
Close correlation to state standards, National Science Education Standards, and Project 2061 Benchmarks for Science Literacy.
- Extends Learning
The wide range of topics allows students to extend their learning through the books themselves, related websites, project ideas, and parent/home activities.
- Research Based
Develops students' reading proficiency through proven teaching strategies.
- in-depth, yet accessible explanations of science topics
- science topics aligned with state standards and Next Generation Science Standards
- experiments using the scientific method
- informational text features such as heading, subheading, photos, timelines, charts, and others
- introduction to scientists of significance
- focus on technology advancements
Content-Area Reading Skills
- develops technical vocabulary
- introduces various expository text structures
- builds understanding of informational text features
- provides practice of critical reading skills
- develops informational reading skills
- cause and effect
- relate visuals to text
- compare and contrast
- and others
Teaching and Assessment Resources
More than 80 pages of strategies, activities, and information to improve comprehension.
- prereading ideas, reading, writing, vocabulary, and content-area activities
- content-area vocabulary-building exercises
- project ideas and experiments
- strategies for use with English Language Learners
- a chart correlating each title to national standards
- a skills and strategies chart for each title
- an objective test for each title
Teaching Content-Area Literacy Strategies Resource
Research-based strategies for teaching content-area literacy before, during, and after reading and with ELLs.
Specially designed Student Post-it® Notes promote active reading. 3 pads=1 student package.
Thematic Book Set
- 6 softcover copies of 5 Student Books (30)
- a FREE Teaching and Assessment Resource
- a FREE durable storage box
- 1 softcover copy of each title (5)
- a Teaching and Assessment Resource
- 24 Thematic Book Sets (720 softcover Student Books)
- 24 Teaching and Assessment Resources
- 1 Teaching Content-Area Literacy Strategies Resource
- 24 storage boxes
- a 3-pack of Student Post-it® Notes
1-3 of 3