Each lesson takes approximately 15 minutes and includes
- letter formation models.
- scaffolded practice using both print and digital support.
- independent practice.
- extension activities through print and digital practice materials.
- self-assessment prompts.
Support for proper letter formation through multiple print and digital avenues.
- Simple letter formation with easy-to-follow instructions in each lesson.
- QR codes at point of use provide animated letter formation models accessible on mobile devices—school-to-home support.
- Desk strips and wall posters.
- Reproducible letter tracing cards (grades K and 1).
- Focus is on manuscript letter formation at grades K and 1, a gradual transition to cursive at grade 2, and cursive letter formation and mastery in grades 3, 4, and 5.
Legibility—Keep the Focus
A Keep the Focus feature in each lesson reinforces the four components of legibility.
Language Arts & Reading
Each lesson contains activities incorporating grade-appropriate reading and language arts standards such as
- Foundational Skills—phonological awareness, phonics, and phonograms.
- Reading Skills—following directions, main idea and details, cause and effect, compare and contrast, using textual evidence, figures of speech, point of view, and plot and characters.
- Word Study—identifying word meaning, prefixes/suffixes, synonyms/antonyms, spelling patterns, and content-area vocabulary.
- Writing—responding to texts, composing in specific genres (narrative, informational, argumentative, poetry, drama), and reproducible writing journals (grades K and 1).
- Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics—capitalization, punctuation, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, and proper nouns.