Comprehensive Coverage of State Standards
- Vocabulary skills
- Text features
- Text structures
- Reading comprehension
- Literary elements
- Reading strategies
Intensive Skill Intervention in 5 Easy Steps
Flexible lessons can be adapted to available time frames. Teach a focused minilesson in as little as 10 to 20 minutes; provide a 30-, 60-, or 90-minute intensive skill-development block; or split study over several days.
1. Introduce the Skill
- An ELL Lesson builds vocabulary and background knowledge.
- An Explain activity introduces the skill to the whole class or small groups.
2. Model the Skill
- An Expand Minilesson is available digitally for whiteboard use.
- Scripted instruction with step-by-step questioning.
- Designed to engage students.
3. Practice the Skill
- Gradual release of responsibility model.
- Move from guided to independent practice.
- Explore activities are available in both reproducible and consumable workbook format.
4. Assess the Skill
- An Exit Ticket activity provides one-on-one formative assessment.
- Online or paper and pencil assessment and progress monitoring using ExamView® software.
- Separate diagnostics, progress monitoring, and summative assessments.
5. Remediation/Additional Practice
- Re-Explore activities provide additional skill practice for students who have not met proficiency goals.