Each lesson takes approximately 15 minutes and features
- Three-step gradual release of responsibility – Present, Practice, Proceed
- Letter formation modelling through scripted instruction, hands-on practice, online videos, and interactive whiteboard software
- Guided and independent practice using a variety of ELA activities
- Extension and differentiation suggestions and activities
- Self-assessment prompts.
Support for proper letter formation through multiple print and digital avenues.
- Simple letter formation with easy-to-follow instructions in each lesson
- QR codes at point of use provide animated letter formation models accessible on mobile devices—school-to-home support
- Desk strips and wall posters
- Manuscript instruction available for Grades K-2
- Cursive instruction available for Grades 2T (transition) – Grade 5
Legibility—Keep the Focus
A Keep the Focus feature in each lesson reinforces the four components of legibility.
Language Arts & Reading
Each lesson contains activities incorporating grade-appropriate reading and language arts standards such as
- Foundational Skills—phonological awareness, phonics, and phonograms.
- Reading Skills—following directions, main idea and details, cause and effect, compare and contrast, using textual evidence, figures of speech, point of view, and plot and characters.
- Word Study—identifying word meaning, prefixes/suffixes, synonyms/antonyms, spelling patterns, and content-area vocabulary.
- Writing—responding to texts, composing in specific genres (narrative, informational, argumentative, poetry, drama), and reproducible writing journals (grades K and 1).
- Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics—capitalization, punctuation, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, and proper nouns.